For those participants that are new to our events (or even some veterans), here's a list of some tips and tricks that can help make your experience and enjoyable one.
- A comfortable hiker is a happy hiker.
- On many trails, there are no places to dispose of garbage. You will need to pack out everything that you pack in. Therefore, don't take anything that is not necessary.
- Be prepared for the conditions you will be hiking in. Pay particular attention to the weather and terrain.
- Look at a map of where you will be hiking prior to getting on the trail. Know where you will be going.
- Always let others know where you are hiking and when you expect to return from your hike.
- It's better to wear layers of clothes than a single heavy jacket.
- Good hiking boots provide support to your foot and ankle. They also have a durable tread designed to grip the surface of the trail. Avoid wearing flat soled shoes.
- Keep your feet dry to prevent blisters.
- Carry enough, but not too much water. Canteens that hold 1-2 quarts work well for most hikes.
- Keep your gear in your pack. Swinging equipment can break and waste energy.
- Remember, take only pictures and leave only footprints.
- Know what to do in case of emergency!
Having the proper equipment is essential to a good hike. Most equipment that you need on a hike can either be found around the house or purchased at local department stores. Although "high end" camping supply stores can be a good source of gear and equipment, they sometimes can charge a significant mark-up, so be sure to comparison shop!
Here is a list of equipment that is required on most hikes (with alternate equipment where applicable)
- Hiking Backpack
- Wool/cotton blend socks
- First aid kit
- Hiking Boots
- Energy snacks (granola)
- Lunch(if needed)
- Jacket or sweatshirt
- Toilet paper/tissue
- Emergency change
- Optional Equipment
- Map and compass
- Pencil and notepad
- Pocket knife
- Nature books
- Mosquito repellent
- Gym socks (extra in pack)
- Band-Aids, Soap
- High quality tennis shoes
- Large garbage bags
- Plastic soda bottles
- Light duty rope
- Breakfast cereal